Friday, January 15, 2010

How did you know that?

More than a couple of times this week I have rescued someones knitting. Most of the times I can look at something and say "I know what you've done!". Then of course I show them how I fix it, not necessarily the 'correct' way. (There are no knitting police!)

How do I know?

Practice, lots and lots of practice. It can be discouraging when you start to knit, when you have to go back and repair something you have done. Trust me, even the most experienced knitter rips back work all the time. (the average knitting project has been 'adjusted' 3 times.)

Currently I am working on a couple, okay more than a couple of projects. I have 'ripped' back socks once, because I can't multiply or divide. Instead of 64 stitches I cast on 48 stitches. Worked 2 inches of ribbing before I realized that! I hate ribbing.

The scarf I am 'designing' has been ripped back 3 times, not enough stitches, too many stitches not enough cable....

Then the cowl needs a Lacy pattern....lets not talk about the times I have pulled that one back! I am not sure that I like what I have done so far, so it may still be 'frogged'.

I have knit millions of stitches, over and over. Yet I persist because when I do finish something, it is perfect, well almost, and it is mine. No one else in the whole world has anything exactly the same.

Practice makes perfect.

Knitting..it is a good thing...eventually.


For those of you on Ravelry, there is now a 'Soper Creek Yarn' group that you can join. (Thank-you to S. for setting that up...a few brave souls have joined.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will have to seek out the group on Ravelry, that is very exciting!

As far as undoing work I will say it is much nicer when you unravel to make an adjustment rather than fix a mistake. I have one pattern I knit often and I must have changed it 10 times so far because "if I just do this different it will look so much better"