Friday, May 4, 2012

Socks in a Week?

maybe? (For those that read Yarn Harlot, she can make a pair of socks in a day!  A week is lightening speed for me!)

Saturday, I was leaving the shop and noticed that the display of the Maxime Print sock yarn had not really changed since is was created a few weeks ago.  (Dear yarn maker: It would really help if you put a picture of the yarn knit up on the ball band so we can see how it is going to look!)  I didn't have any socks on my sock needles so I took a ball home to make a sock to show the design.

I started Sunday afternoon and knit one sock 'magic loop' (my new favourite thing) and by the end of Masterpiece Theatre I had knit past the heel turn!  

 Knowing that I suffer from 2nd sock syndrome I decided that I would sneak into the shop on Monday and get another ball to start the 2nd sock right away, magic loop that one to the same point as the first one and then put both socks together  and do 'magic loop 2 at a time socks' until they were finished.

I started the second sock, matching the stripes from the centre of the ball, like the first one, only to discover that the design is now running in the opposite direction.  (Lesson learned!  Yarn companies wind balls in both directions!)  I frogged the knitting and began again.
Wednesday I joined the 2 socks together and....I haven't knit on them since.

Tomorrow is Maplefest so there is not much chance of working on them very much this weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Today (Friday) and tommorow (Maplefest Saturday) all sale yarn is now buy 3 get the 4th free!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow, luckily I've never had that problem. All my sock yarn has been wound the same direction. Maybe it's just that brand (or an oops).

I do my socks 2 at a time, it's the only way to do it :) I would get very few socks finished if I did them one at a time.

Looks like a nice colourway.