Friday, July 3, 2015

Way back Wednesday 3

This weeks post is a bit late, we had a few days away!

Remember the eighties? There were a more than just a few really awful trends!  


These were pretty tame compared to some I found in the stack of old pattern books I have been accumulating.

I remember helping customers with our own variation of the pink vest.  The one we did used 2 balls of a mohair blend and a pair of 000 or 10 mm needles! Turns out my friend Julie, who I met 20 years ago, remembers going into Rickaby's and purchasing the yarn to many of those vests.   I probably helped her at least one of the times, we were both a lot younger then.

What does the Yarn shop owner do on vacation?

I started a new project!  

You know how when you pack your knitting and you take as many projects you think you can finish and then you add 'a just in case' project? What did I do? Started that one instead, leaving the others to be finished when we got home!

See you soon!

1 comment:

TracyKM said...

As children, my grandmother would knit a few items for my cousin and I. They were mainly basic things. But my cousin's other grandmother, Mary Syer (of Bowmanville) could knit anything, it seemed to us. Once, my cousin told her she wanted a sleeveless top, really loosely knit, in a fuzzy light blue. A week later, there it was! My cousin's mom started to knit as she was raising sheep, but again, it was mostly items she sold, and a few lovely things for family. My grandma taught me to knit but it didn't really stick until the fall of 1993 when my housemates decided to learn to knit by making a (patterned) sweater. Finally I had something I knew I could outdo them on LOL. I haven't stopped since.
When my cousin's mom died, I received many of her items, including a wonderful baby knitting book from Grandma Mary. It was dated 1948, when my uncle was three. She wasn't "my real" grandma, but I cherish this item now! I can't wait to knit from it for my cousin's grandbabies (though I'm sure my cousin is fine with waiting a while LOL).