Tuesday, May 6, 2014

All I want is a phone line!

(Warning this is a non-yarn post)

'The Farmer' is working on a big project?  Part of the equipment requires that there was a phone line installed.  Ideally the line should be a new line directly installed from the road to the barn.  Last Monday I went to our local Bell store only to be told that they could not handle that kind of situation and that we should use the online option.  Home I went and started to chat online.  After 1 hour and 5 minutes online I was assured that we could have a line installed directly to the barn from the road, even though it's over 100 feet from the road.  We would not have to find the electrical lines or gas lines as the technicians are professionals and they would handle the installation with no problems.

Before the installation they needed to run a credit check. The 30 years of Bell history that we have personally  and the over 60 years of Bell service to the property wasn't enough. I was told that I would receive a call informing of the results of the credit check within a few minutes.  I waited 3 hours. (it's Monday, my day off there are things to do) Finally I call them.

"We are sorry there seemed to be a slight technical problem but we can schedule your installation for Thursday sometime between and 8 am to 5 pm.

The next day I get a call, they want to know how they can install a new line when there is a line already to the property? How will they know where to go?

 "It is the same address: right for the house and left to the barn? It's a big building you can't miss it?"

4:30 on Thursday, still no Bell technicians. I  can see that there are going to be issues.  Technicians arrive, look puzzled, we are informed that the couldn't possibly do the job.  They don't have enough wire, the gas and hydro lines aren't marked and it's not their responsibility to run the conduit from the road.  Even though the transcript I have clearly states this is not a problem for them.

They arrange for a spool of wire to be delivered and show 'The Farmer' how to hook up the wire. The wire now runs under the busy driveway, something we were trying to avoid.

The conduit was purchased  and the excavator was put to good use!

Again 'The Farmer' has saved the day, the phone line works!  I bet we still have to pay the installation fee?

See you soon, thanks for the opportunity to vent!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am trying to switch 4 cell phones to a new plan. I have gotten all kinds of info and none of it makes sense. I am told it's one price here and another price there. Huh? Oh well, Hubster can sort it all out later.