I have done a little bit of felting but haven't done very much lately because just before I opened the shop we purchased a new laundry team that included a front load washing machine. (Being on a well that was known to run dry it was the best option.)
The more I looked at the yarn the more I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try". I looked at all the usual places and began the project with an nice square bottom. I found my 6.5mm circular 32" needle. Cast on 32 stitches and knit until I could count 32 ridges. Leaving the stitches on the needle I picked up 32 stitches along the edge, picked up 32 stitches along the cast on edge and another 32 stitches along the last edge and started knitting. I knit for a while and decreased 8 stitches along each side then knit a bit more and did the same decreases. Then kept knitting until I had enough left to do a garter stitch edge for 10 rows or 5 ridges ( the final length was about 18 inches...not sure I didn't really measure?)
I cast it off and made a long I-cord rope out of the remaining yarn.
Then I threw it into my front load washer (inside a pillow case) with 3 pairs of The Boy's old jeans. I set the machine for a quick wash with hot water and medium spin. I checked after the first wash and it was just about right but it could use a little more. I managed to stop the machine just before the final rinse and checked again. That's when I got out a plunger (it was new!) and put the project into a basin with hot water and plunged away for about 5 minutes. I did this in the laundry tub, it was a little splashy! I think that helped get rid of some of the creases that developed.
Then I squeezed out as much water as I could and found the perfect box to shape it and let it dry.