Saturday, May 14, 2011

Conservation of Mass...

I am back in High school science class: "mass cannot be created or destroyed, although it may be rearranged in space and changed into different types of particles;" (Conservation of Mass )




I was wandering some of my favourite sites when I came across this cowl. I love this site and am glad that the shop is in New York and not anywhere near here, I would visit way too often!



I didn't want to make anything as heavy as that and use something I have in stock. Let's see cotton, thin with multiple colour changes? That would be NORO! The new Taiyo sock yarn that just has to be knit into a sample. You know how much I love Noro!



The plan was to make a long scarf about 60" that I could make into a tube by grafting the cast on and cast off edges. Did a small swatch and estimated that 40 stitches would do the trick.



I used Lucy Neatby's provisional cast-on then knit about 12 inches and weighed the ball. I had used 1/8 of 100 grams. That would mean I could knit 96" of scarf to use up the 100 gram ball, too long? Looking at my work I began to ponder: I could keep knitting and have a skinny lonnnng scarf or rip back add some stitches and make the scarf wider.



After looking at the original design I decided that I would be happier to start again and have a wider scarf.




I have now knit 14" and have used 1/4 of the ball. 56" perfect!


Back to the Conservation of Mass, it always amazes me how impressed people are when I weigh a garment to find out how much yarn it took, I actually can see a light turn on! (changing from one form into another!)




Well I guess it's back to work! Good thing I love this job!




See you Tuesday.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny, I would have never guessed you were a science nerd.......

Soper Creek Yarn said...

Math and science 85% English..especially grammar 55%!