Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mom, can you knit me a hat?

Early in December 'The Girl' calls home to tell me about her week and in that conversation she describes a hat.
 " Well, there's a little girl in the backseat of a car in a commercial and she is wearing a yellow hat.  I want a hat just like that!"

The internet can be a wonderful source of information. I 'google" the name of the car and the company and find the scene with the yellow hat!  It's bright yellow, mustard really and it looks like an adult hat plopped onto a child's head so it's huge!

I think for a bit, and decide I could replicate the hat but I know what will happen if I make it in a mustard colour.  'The Girl' will put it on, and with her pale skin and blonde hair it will look terrible.  I phone and ask if she is sure about the Yellow.

  "Well you could make it another colour, I just really like the big pom pom and it has to have a wide brim and be really slouchy!"



I finished it, but left the weaving in the ends until I was sure it was okay, she put it on Christmas day and wore it pretty much everyday.

The Yarn is Mission Falls 1824, it took 3 balls and well the pattern is my own design!  (Don't ask me how I did it, I don't really remember all the details!)

(When she came into the shop not only was she wearing the hat, but a sweater I made for her before I opened the shop and her 'Nana' mitts! She was a walking model of knitted garments!)

I am slowly working my way through some UFO's and trying to decide my next big project! 

Happy New Year!



No comments: