Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Never say Never

Remember how I said there was a lot going on, well I didn't really tell you everything.

Earlier this year we became an Ashford Dealer, weaving looms and spinning supplies.  We have a couple of looms but avoided the Spinning Wheels as The Black Lamb in Port Hope is better equipped to teach spinning. 

During the summer we had someone come into the shop with a spinning wheel. Helen, who is a spinner, checked it over and decided that it needed some work and we sent him off to another shop for better information.  It made me think about Spinning?

You see I have a lot of people in my circle of friends who spin and they all invited me to learn.  I would always say that knitting is weird enough and why would I make yarn when there is so much beautiful yarn available.  I was determined to not have another craft in my home!

Maybe I was having a week moment but one day out of nowhere an Ashford spinning wheel was made available to me, the person selling it just used it a few times and found it beyond her needs. Not wanting to miss out again and knowing that if I didn't want it anymore I could easily use it as a store prop, lend it out or sell it on.



The biggest issue I had now was admitting to all those who thought I would enjoy spinning that I was even considering it. How could I learn without telling anyone I needed a lesson or seven!  A quick call to Laurie at the Black Lamb and we spent a Monday morning together, talking shop and she gave me a quick lesson.

Then I practiced, watched videos and read a bunch of books and magazines.   The wheel came with a bit of fibre and I played with most of it! I have learned a lot, my hands and feet work well together and the more I practice the easier it gets.

I met my friends as they were Demonstating spinning at Orono Fair, one even said:

'You could learn how to do this you know!'

My response:

'I am sure a could!'

I have new words in my vocabulary: drafting, forward short draft, carded bats vs roving, worsted spun and woolen spun, bobbins, flyers....

A few of my lumpy skeins:





Now I find myself wanting to attempt new fibres and see how they perform.  I may never become very good, but I do like the fact that if someone comes into the shop looking for spinning fibre then I have at least a small bit of knowledge to be able to help with choices.

This weekend was Thanksgiving and "The Girl" was home.  The internet was down and our television reception is down to just a few channels.  I taught her how to card some wool and I spun it into a very lumpy skein.  Coming home is like visiting a Pioneer Village! 

Other then a few people not many know about this, so keep it a secret?

So never say never!  Your brain is always wanting to learn new things, sometimes they aren't easy at first but as muscle memory comes into play before you know it you are doing everything without too much trouble!

See You Soon!







No comments: