Thursday, October 14, 2010

Random thoughts, or I don't want to tidy the shop...

When it’s slowish in the shop I read blogs! One that I follow quite regularly is Seth’s blog. He has great insight and I have sent you in his direction before. He wrote a section about people you interact with.

Basically you have to treat everyone according their position on the Dreyfus model of skill acquisition.

According to Dreyfus there are five stages that people go through:

(I think that this is the same with knitters!)

1. Novice--wants to be given a manual, told what to do, with no decisions possible
(Needs a pattern, exact yarn and needles and perhaps a garment already knit as an example!)

2. Advanced beginner--needs a bit of freedom, but is unable to quickly describe a hierarchy of which parts are more important than others
(Chooses a pattern, but willing to change colours and perhaps make small changes)


3. Competent--wants the ability to make plans, create routines and choose among activities(

Can take a basic pattern, incorporate a design element)


4. Proficient--the more freedom you offer, the more you expect, the more you'll get

(Purchases a yarn, and a pattern that don’t correspond but will make it work anyway.)


5. Expert--writes the manual, doesn't follow it.

(willing to write down a pattern, but never make it again…why do it twice.!)

Although I have a lot to learn, I think I could be classed as an expert, I can give advice, but I don’t always take it!

The Boss is telling me to get back to work.

Don't forget about Mitten Club tomorrow night..email me if you are coming!

If you are looking for something to do on Saturday come downtown and visit Applefest, if it's sunny it will be a busy place!

No comments: